Saturday 13 June 2009

Some calrifications

I've had some feedback about the issue of perfumes and Ihram. So thought to clear that up, to the best of my knowledge.

This is what I know and understand:

1- Women are not supposed to use perfume when they visit Masajid, or for that matter, leave the house.

Source:


Narrated by Abu Mousa Al Ash’ari: Allah's Apostle
(peace be upon him), said: “If a woman uses perfume and passes the people so that they may get its odour, she is so-and-so, meaning severe remarks.

2- For the Ihram, men and women may perfume themselves and wash with whatever they want. But once they have spoken the Intention of their Ihram and prayed the two nafl for it, from that time on to when they are free of Ihram's obligation, no perfume is allowed to them.

Source:


Ibn 'Umar reported: "Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) forbade women pilgrims from wearing gloves, veils, and clothes dyed with saffron or warse. (A sweet smelling plant that was used to dye clothes yellow) Besides these, they may wear anything else, any color, silk clothes, ornaments, trousers, or a shirt or shoes." (Reported by Abu Daw'ud, Al-Baihaqi and Al-Hakim, with a sound chain of authorities)

Al-Bukhari no. 1542, Muslim no. 1177 and Ahmed no. 2:59: He (the Muhrim) does not wear anything from the clothing that has been touched by saffron or Al-Wars

Bukhari reported that 'Aishah, r.anha, said: "A woman must neither wear a veil to cover her face, nor wear clothes that are dyed with saffron or other fragrant dyeing material."

Ibn 'Umar reported that 'Umar smelled the pleasant smell of perfume coming from Mu'awiyah while the latter was in the state of ihram. 'Umar commanded him: "Get back, and wash it off. I have heard the Prophet (peace be upon him) saying: 'A pilgrim must be unkempt and without any perfume." This is reported by Al-Bazzar with a sound chain.

I hope that clears the air? Any questions, please ask me. And I must add: I am no religious authority. What I write here is my own knowledge and experience. It may not be right according to you. This blog is just my travel document, it does not stand in place of religious guidance. So please, if in doubt, clear matters and ask someone who is an Alim.

As to touching the Ka'ba while in Ihram, well that is a case of piety. It is perfumed, but I have not read anything that forbids touching it. What I have heard is that its best to avoid that which is doubtful, rather than making a mistake.

Narrated by Tirmithi and Nasaee .On the authority of Al-Hasan bin Ali, the grandson of the Messenger of Allah, who said : I memorized from the Messenger of Allah, (peace be upon him), his saying

"Leave that which makes you doubt for that which does not make you doubt."


Hence my advice not to touch the Ka'ba while in Ihram, on account of its perfume. The rest, is your own decision.





No comments:

Post a Comment